"It is a house of welcome and a house of love because it is primarily a house of prayer."

Cardinal Basil Hume - 7th May 1984

 

 

"It is a house of prayer and human conversations"

Revd Dr George Lovell - 3rd May 2003

 

 

 

As the people of the Methodist Church, we are concerned with the wholeness of each individual within God’s purpose for everyone.  We seek to safeguard all members of the church community of all ages. 

It is the responsibility of each one of us to prevent physical, sexual or emotional abuse and neglect of children and young people.

Methodist Safeguarding Policy

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reflection of the month ... Isaiah 55 Verse 1
Come all you who are thirsty....

sloane terraceMethodists first started meeting in Chelsea in a local woman's house in John Wesley's time. He preached several times to them. As numbers grew they rented a room, then a suite of rooms in the Ranelagh Pleasure Gardens (now part of the Royal Hospital grounds). Shortly after, they leased and converted an old slaughter house in the present Sloane Street area.  In the early nineteenth century, their first purpose-built chapel was in Sloane Square (now the Royal Court Theatre), their second one in Sloane Terrace – where the Christian Science church now stands. This second chapel was used by Chelsea Methodists from 1812 to 1903.

In 1903, Chelsea Methodists built on the present site on the corner of King's Road and Chelsea Manor Street.

In 1941, a bomb destroyed the sanctuary, and after the war, the rooms that were left underwent various changes. The bombsite itself was long used as a car park, before the whole site was redeveloped in 1983.cmc 1980

The redevelopment saw 21 new flats for the elderly built with the Servite Housing Association on the previous car park area, and also new sanctuaries designed by Bernard Lamb, including a Narthex (Welcoming area) in front of the church's main sanctuary.

Chelsea Methodist Church has office space on its top floors which are rented to various charities. Current tenants are CAB; Glass Door (fromerly known as West London Churches Homeless Concern); Kensington and Chelsea Forum for Older Residents and The Salvo Foundation.

The large hall upstairs, otherwise known as the Hume Hall, after Cardenal Hume who re-opened our premises in May 1984, is well used by community groups, play sessions for parents and toddlers, Taekwondo classes. It is also used on one off basis for AGMs, charity sales and 'road shows'. If you are interested in hiring this hall or other smaller rooms, please get in touch. The Narthex is open all week, operating with an ‘open door’ policy  and welcomes the homeless and everyone else in need of company. Its café offers reasonably priced refreshments.

current cmc entranceToday, Chelsea Methodist Church is the only church with a door on King's Road. It welcomes many visitors every Sunday and is fully wheelchair accessible on the ground floor.
Recent developments have been the establishment of laundry and shower facilities for homeless people, and the refurbishment of the Narthex / café area and the courtyard garden.

Each year since winter 1998/99, Chelsea Methodist Church has taken part in the emergency winter night shelter, run by Glass Door, which operates from November to March.  This project provides homeless people with a hot dinner, a warm and secure place to sleep and a cooked breakfast in the morning.